Saturday, July 7, 2012

National Chocolate Day

     To honor National Chocolate Day properly, I decided to create something with chocolate :).  I pulled out my "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" cookbook and turned straight to the dessert section.  Thumbing through the pages of deliciousness, I came across Mousseline Au Chocolat, aka Chocolate Mousse.  
     I read through the recipe a couple of times, making sure I understood how this chocolaty goodness all came together.  I had most of the ingredients.  I was only missing a few, the essential ones actually.  Off to the store I went in search of semi sweet chocolate, unsalted butter, orange liqueur, and heavy whipping cream.
     On my way to good ol WinCo, I started thinking about where in the store would I find the orange liqueur.  I've never looked for it before.  So, I text my good friend and fellow cook, Brooke.  She informed me that it would be in the "hard liquor" section.  Great, where is the "hard liquor" section at WinCo lol.  I found it.  It's up front away from everything else, quite cut off from the rest of the store :).  I made my purchases and headed home for my Chocolate Mousse adventure.
     I read through the recipe again and did all my prep.  I usually don't do that.  I'm bad and get things going as I'm in the middle of making the recipe. Prepping is quite important actually.  It just makes things move along so much smoother.  
     This is how it goes basically: egg yolks, egg whites, sugar, a lot of butter :), chocolate, orange liqueur, and some coffee all mixed together strategically to form this luscious, creamy, rich dessert called Mousseline Au Chocolat.  It cools in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (that's about as long as I could wait).  Make up a batch of whipped cream, serve some mousse and top with that wonderful whipped cream and have at it!  Danny and I greatly enjoyed it :).
     Side Note:  There was one thing I did differently with it.  I used Splenda instead of sugar and it came out perfect.  I'll make it with sugar if I'm making it for other people.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy!!!!!! I have to try this recipe!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete