Sunday, February 19, 2012

Baby Shower



My mom and I hosted a baby shower for my sister, Melissa, yesterday. It was a great time with good food!
For starters, I asked my good friend, Brooke, to make the cake. She did an amazing job! It was gorgeous AND it was delicious! The cake was flavored with lemon and the filling was raspberry jam, yum! Thank you so much Brooke for doing that.
My mom came up with some really great ideas for the food. She made really good chicken salad sandwiches and a wonderful fruit salad. The sandwiches were simple. All you need is a rotisserie chicken, mayo, green onion, red bell pepper, celery, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I think that's what she put in it :). Chop everything up and mix together. Slather it on your favorite bread and there ya go.
Her fruit salad was a hit. Strawberries, bananas, kiwis, pineapple, blueberries, blackberries all cut up and mix together. The fun part was that she got waffle bowls from the store, dipped them in chocolate and then in granola. She spooned the salad in those yummy bowls and the ladies loved it!
Melissa's mother-in-law made a beautiful veggie tray with ranch dip and a spinach dip.
I made cucumber sandwiches (total girl food hehe!) and a pasta salad. I got the recipe idea for the sandwiches on allrecipes.com. A package of cream cheese, about half a cup of mayo (I didn't measure) and an envelope of Italian dressing seasoning was mixed together for the spread. Slice up the cucumbers. Chop up some fresh dill. Spread the cream cheese mixture on dark rye bread, put on your cucumbers and sprinkle with the chopped dill, oh yeah! I bet some red bell pepper would be really good on it as well, and pretty.
The pasta salad is a great one for any time of the year because there's no mayo in it, so you don't have to worry about that spoiling in the heat for summer time. All it is is tricolor spiral pasta, cubed up dry salami, cubed up cheddar cheese, carrots, sliced black olives, diced up roasted red bell peppers, and broccoli. Mix all that together with your favorite Italian bottled salad dressing (I get whatever is on sale) and there ya go!
We had a classic "Shower Punch" made from pineapple juice, diet Sprite, and raspberry sherbet. I added frozen raspberries to it.
I think we ate pretty well yesterday :)
The pictures are Brooke's beautiful cake and Melissa, Mom, and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment