Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yum


I usually start thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner in the morning. Sometimes I'm good and remember to take something out of the freezer before I head off to work. Luckily, I work across the street from where I live. So that means I go home for lunch and am able to take something out at lunch time.
My wheels were turning this morning as I was calling patients to confirm their appointments for the next day. I decided, "Something with chicken." Wheels turning some more, Chicken Parmesan, that's always good. I went home for lunch and took out my HUGE chicken breast from Costco. (I like how one breast can feed the both of us). Proceeded to look in my refrigerator and what else I could do and remembered that we got an eggplant when we went shopping this weekend. "That's it! Eggplant Parmesan with grilled chicken!" Good protein and a veggie (smothered in cheese and sauce).
It's pretty easy dinner to prepare. Somewhat time consuming, but not difficult. I start out by dredging my eggplant slices in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. A really light dredge. Brown them up in some olive oil and set them aside. Once all those bad boys are done layer them in a 9x9 with slices of mozzarella cheese and your favorite spaghetti sauce. We like Renaldi brand here. Sprinkle the top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and bake at 400 degrees until bubbly and browned on top.
While the eggplant is in the oven, cut up the massive chicken breast into strips and slather them with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic. I have a cast iron grill pan that I love using for this. Get it nice and hot and grill up the chicken strips. I cook them until they are just shy of being done and then wrap them up in foil. They continue to cook in the foil and stay nice and moist.
Serve it all up with a salad and there ya go! It's not greasy at all and full of flavor.

1 comment: