Friday, February 17, 2012

Quick weeknight supper

It's been pretty chilly the past few days and I decided to make soup for dinner. An easy and inexpensive dinner is Pozole. Basically pork and hominy soup. A few months ago I asked one of my patients how to make it. All together I think there are only about 4 ingredients :).
You start with some pork of course. I went to Wally World and found pork stew meat, perfect! Smaller pieces so you don't have to cook it as long. If you don't have that use whatever pork you have, or chicken. If it's a larger piece of the yummy pig, you just have to cook it longer so it gets nice and tender.
So, you have your pork in the pot, throw some salt on it and chicken stock. I like to use the boxed stock from Costo. I think it's about 4 cups. I added about 2 cups of water to it as well. Add one softball sized white onion, chopped up. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook it until the meat is tender.
Once that happens add your hominy. It doesn't matter what kind of hominy you use, this time I got the white hominy cause that's what I found :). I get two of the 29 oz. cans. Drain them in a colander and add to the soup. Let it simmer away for another 10 minutes or so, until the hominy is hot.
Then the last step is adding a whole lot of chili powder. The more you add the spicier it will be. Maybe like a quarter of a cup or so. Add it gradually and taste it. Keep on adding until it's right where you want it to be. You can also add more salt if needed.
I like mine with chopped up cabbage and a corn tortilla torn up and mixed in. Danny likes adding that and Spanish rice. Sometimes if I have them, I'll add some fresh squeezed lime juice to it, yum!
When I made this the other night it took about 30 minutes. It's really good as lunch the next day too :)

2 comments:

  1. So the only spice is salt & chili pwdr? cilantro?
    really simple. Sounds yummy. I think I'll give it a try.
    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, just salt and chili powder. When I get it at restaurants they always serve it with cilantro, white onion and lemon or lime wedges on the side. It all makes it really GOOD.

    ReplyDelete